Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Long Long Drive

I never thought that I would be commuting such a long distance. It seems like I am going to Peru Indiana quite regularly, at least for the month of December. Two hours one way...wow that is a long distance. I must pack an over nighter just in case I am shut in Peru by the weather. One day I will look back at these days and say "I can't believe that I did that. Those were the days of youth"

I had some emotional roller coaster for the last two months. For the month of October and November Kroger had no work for me. That happens when your duty is to fill other's vacations, illness, maternity leaves etc. No one planned surgeries, pregnancies or had vacations. And I started to look for a job that I could rely on. That did not pan out.

Yet strangely enough, Kroger would call me for emergency situations enough times to cover my schedule. It would go like this, "JaeHi, xxxx is very sick today, could you open the store in South Bend by 8 am?" I look at the clock and it is 7 am. This would have been very unwelcome phone call when one has a secure job. Under my new circumstances, I was happy to get such phone calls.

One day I invited couple of my painting friends to lunch. I had to cancel that at the last minute. I was more than disappointed yet my friends understood. So I spent the last two months where my life was suspended waiting these phone calls. It is rather funny. When I am in a situation of "unemployment" such interruption of my life was eagerly accepted.

Couple of days ago I got a schedule for the whole month of December just as I have gotten before the two months interruption. So I am employed for one month. My supervisor tells me that my schedule should be "regular" from now on. I take that statement with a grain of salt.

During these times I realized that I really love working with people. I also pondered that I may have to get back into work force full time. If I had a full time slot at one of Kroger stores, I would be secure for life. I avoided full time offers again and again because my health did not allow me. Winter times are hard. I am under the weather the whole season.

I started to exercise even when everything in me did not want to. I started ten days ago. To my amazement I am able to. I have to work towards working full time one day just because part time is just not as safe.